The last of the corned beef purchased on sale following St. Patrick’s Day came out of the freezer and was turned into pastrami today. Auntie was discussing some I sent her home with a couple of visits ago, I mentioned that I had been working on improving it, and the next thing you know it’s on the WSM. I did learn a few things from the last effort, and this batch sat in the foil until it passed the brisket tenderness test.
This batch was so tender that slicing it was almost a pleasure in spite of the weird-shaped cuts of beef.
I followed Thirdeye’s recipe a bit closer this time; at least I used most of the suggested ingredients, even though I pretty much ignored the proportions. The finished result was extremely tasty although a bit on the peppery side. I guess I’ll need to dial back the peppercorns a bit next time.
I was able to preserve the juice from the foil this time around and after separating out most of the fat had a delicious au jus to pour over the pastrami. Something tells me that the leftovers will be gone by tomorrow afternoon…